skip navigation

June 6th

  • Jun
  • 6
June 6th
  • All Day Event   Ical event icon

1941:  Former NHL defenseman Marshall Johnston born in Birch Hills, Saskatchewan.  Johnston played in the NHL 1967-68 through 1973-74 with Minnesota and Oakland.  He later worked as coach and G.M. with Oakland, Colorado Rockies, Ottawa, New Jersey and Chicago.

1961:  Former NHL right winger Jim Archibald born in Craik, Saskatchewan.  Archibald played in the NHL 1984-85 through 1986-87 with the Minnesota North Stars.

1967:  The NHL held its first expansion draft in Montreal for the six new teams - Oakland Seals, Los Angeles, Minnesota North Stars, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis.  The new teams could select players from the rosters of the established clubs.  Each established club was allowed to protect eleven skaters and one goalie.

1967:  Toronto traded the rights to Gary Dineen, goaltender Ken Broderick and Barry MacKenzie to the Minnesota North Stars for cash.

1967:  Montreal Canadiens traded Bill Plager with the rights to Barry Meissner and Leo Thiffault to the Minnesota North Stars for Bryan Watson.

1971:  Former NHL right winger Mike Craig born in London, Ontario.  Craig played in the NHL 1990-91 through 2001-02 with the Minnesota North Stars, Dallas, Toronto and San Jose.

1972:  Minnesota North Stars traded Bob Paradise to the Atlanta Flames for cash.

1980:  Detroit Red Wings traded Alex Pirus to the Minnesota North Stars for cash.

1990:  Former Calgary Flames partner Norman N. Green obtains 51% ownership of the North Stars franchise and Howard Baldwin and  Morris Belzberg evenly divide the remaining 49% of the club.  Baldwin was named President and Chief Operating Officer.  (Green would later buy Baldwin's shares on August 24, and Belzberg's shares on October 22nd for 100% ownership of the North Stars).

1994:  The Minnesota Arctic Blast of the Roller Hockey International league open their inaugural season against the Atlanta Fire Ants.

2000:  Minnesota Wild signed free agent Richard Park.

2002:  Mighty Ducks of Anaheim signed free agent defenseman Kurt Sauer, who had gone undrafted following his career with the Spokane Chiefs of the WHL.

2010:  Chicago's Dustin Byfuglien had two goals, two assists and was credited with nine hits as the Blackhawks had a 7-4 win over the visiting Flyers in Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final. Jonathan Toews set a team record with his 21st assist of the 2010 playoffs

Tag(s): This Day In MN History