skip navigation

US Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 1995

Henry Boucha
James Claypool
Ken Morrow

1995 United States Hockey Hall of Fame Enshrinee

Henry Boucha has been labeled as the most electrifying player in Minnesota hockey history.  Also skilled in football and baseball, Boucha starred for five years at both defense and center for the Warroad High School hockey team. A tall, powerfully-built native American, an Ojibwe, Boucha led Warroad to the 1969 state tournament, where he was injured in an emotionally-charged 5-4 overtime final loss to Edina - one of the all-time classic games in “tourney” history. “He was the most colorful hockey player ever to come out of Northern Minnesota,” said Warroad coaching legend and fellow Hall of Fame enshrinee Cal Marvin.  “When he played, it was so special that he brought people out of the old folks home to come and watch him play.  He did it all. He was one of a kind”

Boucha went on to play for the 1972 silver medal winning U.S. Olympic team, and at just 19, he signed with the Detroit Red Wings.  After two years in the Motor City, Boucha “came home” when the Minnesota North Stars acquired him.  But his career was tragically curtailed in his third NHL season when he suffered an eye injury on Jan. 4, 1975 against Boston.

He would come back to play for the WHA’s Minnesota Fighting Saints in 1976, and then again in 1977 with the Scouts and Rockies of the NHL, but couldn’t overcome his eye injury.  He retired from the game after that at just the age of 24.

Boucha would go on to play for his hometown Warroad Lakers, and then give back by donating much of his time to helping advance various Native American causes. 

1995 United States Hockey Hall of Fame Enshrinee

True dedication as a hockey administrator was defined by Claypool when, after managing the 1960 U.S. Olympic hockey team that won the Gold Medal at Squaw Valley, California, he returned to his family in Duluth, Minnesota and renewed his involvement in youth hockey, managing the 1965 Peewee team that won the national championship.

Jim Claypool grew up in Hibbing, Minnesota, playing hockey.  After his sophomore year, he then moved on to attend prep school in Pennsylvania, where he continued to play the game he loved.  From there, the winger went on to attend the University of Michigan, where, from 1941-42, he starred for the Wolverines. His college career was interrupted in 1943, when he was asked to serve his country in World War II as a member of the Navy.

Upon his return home, he moved back to his native Minnesota.  There, he settled down in Duluth, where, in addition to beginning his career in the banking industry, his love of the game had him managing the local semi-pro Duluth Coolerator’s as well.  In 1947, he also became a U.S. Delegate for the Ice Hockey Federation, maintaining his involvement with the administrative level of the game.  In addition, he later served as the President of the Duluth Amateur Hockey Association.

While raising a family, Claypool helped coordinate the building of neighborhood rinks and hockey programs, and became president of the Minnesota Amateur Hockey Association in 1957.  He remained very active in the politics and in policy-making throughout that era, always bettering the game for kids across America.

After returning from the Olympics in Squaw Valley, Claypool went on to become the President of 1st Bank of Duluth.  As a respected businessman and hockey administrator, he found a way to get things done.

In the 1970s, he coordinated the construction of indoor arenas in Duluth, where the strength of youth and high school hockey continues to reflect his efforts.  Jim Claypool was a true friend to hockey, not only in Minnesota, but throughout the United States.

1995 United States Hockey Hall of Fame Enshrinee

A magical three-month span in the spring of 1980 assured Ken Morrow of a place in hockey history.  The giant, 6-4, 205 pound defenseman played an integral role on the fabled U.S. Olympic hockey team that won the Gold Medal at Lake Placid in February 1980.

Morrow grew up playing hockey in Michigan, and went on to star in college at Bowling Green.  There he was the first All-American ever chosen at the school, and was named as the CCHA player of the year in 1979.  In addition to garnering CCHA first-team honors in 1976, ’78 and ’79, he also earned All-American honors in 1978 as well.

He also played on the U.S. National teams in both 1978 and ’79 before being selected to play for Herb Brooks and the “Miracle on Ice” Olympic team in 1980.

From there Morrow made the leap to the big-time, signing on with the New York Islanders, where he continued to stand out on a team that won the Stanley Cup—beating the Minnesota North Stars four games to one.  While becoming the only player ever to win both an Olympic Gold Medal and a Stanley Cup in the same year, Morrow and the Islanders would go on to earn four consecutive Stanley Cups. Morrow played sturdy defense all along as well, as the team proved to be one of the NHL’s best ever throughout the decade of the 1980s.

One of his personal highlights came in the 1984 playoffs, when he scored the overtime game-winner in the deciding contest against the Rangers.  For his NHL career, the tough defenseman scored 17 goals and 88 assists for 105 points in 50 games played.

Morrow continued to give back to the game even after his retirement, and in 1996 was awarded the Lester Patrick Trophy for his efforts.